The Leader Institute at Union Presbyterian Seminary has announced several opportunities for those engaged in Church Business Administration, as well as pastors who might share that responsibility.
- Certification seminars: If you are interested in becoming a Certified Church Administrator through The Church Network (thechurchnetwork.com), Union Presbyterian Seminary is one of only four sites to offer the educational seminars toward meeting the requirements of that certification. We offer these seminars in two different locations:
- On our Charlotte campus, in the spring of 2017 we will offer four of the eight core seminars required for certification. These seminars are held on Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The cost for each course is $100, and for all four is $335. Costs include lunch.
- April 6, 2017 – Managing Strategic Planning Issues
- April 20, 2017 – Managing Human Resources (Legal Aspects)
- May 4, 2017 – Managing Human Resources (Personnel Aspects)
- May 18, 2017 – Managing Communications Issues
Note: Both of the Human Resources courses must be taken in order to count for certification.
Register for these seminars here.
- On the Richmond campus, in the summer of 2017, we will offer all eight core seminars required for certification. These seminars are held over a two-week period, from July 18-27, 2017. You may take all eight days, or four days, or individual seminars. Costs are $670 for all eight days, $335 for four days, and $100 for individual courses, including lunch each day. Housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis for $40 per night.
Register for these seminars here.
- On Thursday, March 16, 2017 in Charlotte, and Saturday, July 22, 2017 in Richmond, we will offer a full day (8:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.) of courses to fulfill the specific requirements for 0.8 CEU credits toward certification. Part of the certification process is that you must get 4.0 CEUs in addition to the core courses listed above. 0.8 of those credits must be in the specific areas of IT Basics, IT Trends, Self-Care for Church Administrators, and Theology and Ethics of Church Administration. Each of these seminars is two hours long. The cost of the full day is $100, including lunch; individual sessions may be taken for $25 each. Registration is available using the websites above for Richmond and Charlotte.
NOTE: Any of these seminars may be used toward retention of certification, and any of them may be taken by those who are not seeking certification.
- Another way to earn CEUs toward certification or retention, OR to enhance your learning without seeking certification, is a workshop called, Stewardship Comes in All Sizes, Shapes, and Colors, offered on the Richmond campus by Dr. Deborah Rexrode, associate for stewardship of the Presbytery of the James, and Raymond Bonwell, director of learning and development for the PCUSA Board of Pensions. The workshop begins at 1:30 p.m. on Monday, March 20, 2017, and concludes before lunch on Thursday, March 23, 2017. The cost is $250 ($195 if you register by February 15), and includes lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday. Attending this workshop earns 1.8 CEUs toward certification, retention, or continuing education required by your denomination. Register here.
All workshops and seminars offered through the Leadership Institute are open to people from any denomination, any size church, any role in the church, and any part of the country.